Here’s where it’s being used right now:
Projects all over the world are running their websites on mySociety’s tools
mySociety’s civic software is free and open source. We have lots of open data, too.
These offerings help organisations in many different countries to run their online projects.
Perhaps you’ll be the next!
Ready to use right now
- Advice on getting started
- Documentation and tech support
- Guidance on funding and web hosting
- Welcome to a global community
Read on to find out what's available, and how to use our code for free.
Explore projects running on our code
Why use mySociety’s code?
With more than a decade of experience behind us, we’ve accumulated a lot of knowledge about what works and what doesn’t for digital tools around democracy, community and transparency.
From software that helps citizens send FOI requests, to tools for matching people to their elected representatives, and lots of things in between, we’ve built, refined and perfected our open source code and data.
We’ve also worked hard to make it as simple as possible for you to reuse in your own country.
As you’d expect, we know our own services better than anyone, and we can often save you a lot of frustration by answering your questions, pointing out pitfalls, and advising on the best way to proceed.
- Alaveteli is a codebase that enables you to run your own Freedom of Information website in any country.
- FixMyStreet is a codebase which in its basic form will let you run a site that helps citizens report street issues to the authorities responsible for fixing them. It has also been successfully adapted many times for other projects which a) collect reports or posts with defined geographical points, b) optionally also collect a category, description and photos, and c) forward these to an email address which is defined by the user inputs.
- EveryPolitician is a repository of open, structured data which aims to cover every politician in every country in the world. It’s free to use and should be useful to anyone running a website or app which helps citizens monitor, understand or contact their elected representatives.
- WriteInPublic is a tool which you can run in any country, and which requires no coding knowledge. It enables citizens to write to their politicians, and it publishes the resulting conversation online. It can be integrated into any existing website. Find out more here.
Working in partnership
Unfortunately, as a small organisation with limited resources, mySociety is not currently able to help you with implementation or development work on an unpaid basis.
However, if you have your own funding secured, please feel free to get in touch and we will be happy to discuss further.
Our services are available to governments and other organisations on a commercial basis: if you would like to explore this option, please drop us a line.