What problem are you solving?:
We want to work on transparency of inspections in Serbia. The main problem of the work of inspections and is non-transparency of their work. The business subjects and citizens are not adequately informed about:
• Their duties and responsibilities which are subject to the control by inspections;
• Policies and procedures that inspections use in implementation of regulations;
• Individual procedures that they are subjected to (case management in the first and second instance of the inspection procedure).
Moreover, inspectorates have not established adequate mechanisms for open and timely information sharing with the public about results of controls that were undertaken, and that are important for the citizens and general public (such as: findings of the controls performed by the Sanitation Inspection in restaurants and hotels; the results of control of the Environmental Inspection performed on business entities / factories polluting the environment, and so on).
Describe your idea:
The aim is to support business sector and citizens in their right to have transparent and accurate information about their duties and responsibilities which are subject to the control by inspections, as well as policies and procedures that inspections use in implementation of regulations. Moreover, this project aims at offering to inspectorates adequate mechanisms and models for open and timely information sharing with the public about results of controls that are undertaken, and that are important for the citizens and general public.
• Establishing mechanisms for information sharing related to the work of inspections in Serbia (such as: publishing of policies and procedures, reports and relevant data on web-sites, on a permanent basis);
• Decrease of corruption (bribes) in the work of inspections in Serbia;
• Streamlining of practices of inspectors;
• Increase of responsibility of the state services towards citizens.
What country will this operate in?: Serbia
Who are you?:
THE BALKAN CENTER FOR REGULATORY REFORM IS A NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION ESTABLISHED IN 2004 IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF SERBIA.
THE FOUNDERS OF THE BALKAN CENTER FOR REGULATORY REFORM ARE A GROUP OF REPUTABLE LAWYERS, ECONOMISTS AND ACADEMICS.
THE FOUNDERS RECOGNIZE THAT SERBIA NEEDS A MORE EFFICIENT AND MARKET-ORIENTED ENVIRONMENT WHICH WILL BOOST MARKET REFORMS. REGULATORY REFORMS AND BUSINESS SIMPLIFICATION CAN INCREASE INVESTMENTS, BUSINESS START-UPS AND INCREASED EMPLOYMENT.
THE MAIN GOALS OF THE CENTER ARE TO:
• GIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION IN THE REFORM OF THE LEGAL AND ECONOMIC FRAMEWORK IN THE AIM OF ITS IMPROVEMENT AND MOVING TOWARDS EUROPEAN STANDARDS;
• GIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION IN THE CREATION OF THE REGULATORY FRAMEWORK WHICH IS NECESSARY FOR THE EFFICIENT FUNCTIONING OF THE MARKET, OF THE STATE, DECREASE OF POVERTY, PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT ETC.;