What problem are you solving?:
The local city administration of Timisoara has a lot of good initiatives in promoting activities on they’re website (http://www.primariatm.ro/) and involving citizens off-line via the Neighborhood Consultative Councils (http://www.primariatm.ro/index.php?meniuId=15&viewCat=558) . But even though a couple of years ago they had an active forum, they have deleted it some time ago.
Describe your idea:
Develop the CITY Wikipedia that allows every citizen to make it’s contribution and together get the City Hall to cooperate in a meaningful way, through various services.
Such a platform should:
– achieve large popular involvement and help run our city (City Hall employees can’t be everywhere at all times while the citizens can).
– maintain an Open Street Map overlayed with citizen reports
– digitize and maintain public interest documents
– keep track of current projects, draft norms of the public administration in a plain and clear language format and can answer direct question
– allot more that doesn’t fit in a 1000 word description
All the content of the project will be made available under CC BY-SA 3.0 Romania, while the software will be made available under a GPL license, making thus the whole system easy to replicate for any city in Romania or abroad.
What country will this operate in?: Romania
Who are you?:
I’m 31 years old and I live in Timisoara, Romania. I’m a IT developer and I own part of a web hosting company. I am also a member of APTI (Technology & Internet Association, apti.ro)
I believe that we can use the Internet to reshape our society for the better.
A basic idea of a wiki page has already been started a while ago at openTM.ro, with a couple of projects from the citizens side (Free WiFi Hotspots in Timisoara and a project for digitizing information regarding a nice locations in the city).